Author Topic: A word about safety  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A word about safety
« on: August 09, 2016, 12:51:25 pm »
In 2012, I was hit by a truck while riding my ebike.   Broke 5 ribs, punctured my left lung, broke-separated-dislocated my left shoulder,  broke my neck and had numerous pulled and or torn muscles and ligaments.  It sucked. Bad.  Oh, and I should mention that I didn't have one head injury thanks to my helmet.  Wear a helmet!
I didn't die and I've recovered well and I'm back to riding.  My point is that I never thought something like this would happen to me.  I'm cautious.  I had flashing lights on my bike and was wearing a white T shirt.  I know drivers don't see me so I try to anticipate their actions.  But still, there I was.

My bike did about 20 MPH on the road with me pedaling and I think drivers have an issue with this.  Their experiences that they associate with bicycles tell them that I'm not going as fast as I am.  I'm not what they expect.  My ebike is nowhere near as powerful as others, so I figure the faster you go, the greater this problem becomes.  But consider also that both your and their time to react gets much shorter as you go faster.  It is a problem.  Is it the driver's fault?  Yes, but it doesn't really matter if you are splattered on the road now does it?

So folks, protect yourselves.  Wear bright clothes and run lights and reflectors day or night.  Consider Nori Lights and ride with others if possible.  Look ahead and avoid busy roads if possible.

In most places, (YOU need to check)  the law says your ebike is a bicycle if it goes no more than 20 MPH on flat ground without pedaling.  If yours goes faster than that, it is a motorcycle and you should register it accordingly.  You then must have a motorcycle driver's license.  Get hit by someone when you are going 40 on an unregistered electric motorcycle with only a regular drivers license and YOU will likely be liable because you aren't supposed to be there.

With that said please do not make a post praising irresponsible ebike activity.  An off road monster and all its' tricks is fine,  just don't talk about running it on the freeway.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 06:04:18 pm by Tom Cole »

36V Amped rear gear motor on a 2016 700c Diamondback Trace
Wattcycles on  Facebook

anything